Monday, 10 October 2011

Confide In Me & Tainted Fashion

Confide In Me by GothicNarcissusI stand in the distance,
I watch from afar.
Should I offer my assistance,
Should it matter who you are?

We all get hurt by love
And we all have our cross to bear,
But in the name of understanding now
Our problems should be shared.

Confide in me, confide in me.

And I can keep a secret
And throw away the key,
But sometimes, to release it
Is to set our children free.

Stick or twist, the choice is yours.
Hit or miss, what’s mine is yours.
Stick or twist, the choice is yours.
Hit or miss, what's mine is yours.

We all get hurt by love
And we all have our cross to bear,
But in the name of understanding now
Our problems should be shared.

Confide in me, confide in me,
Confide in me, confide in me.

[ Confide In Me – Hurts ]

As I mentioned in the previous post, I’m writing about these two photos separately, as they are part of my Inspiration Hurts project, which has got a life of its own by now.

Differently from most of the photos from this project, Tainted Fashion and Confide In Me were neither born suddenly while shooting, nor carefully planned before. I can say they’re a hybrid, as I roughly sketched them in my mind but waited to be there and let inspiration flow to have a complete image of them.
The story behind Confide In Me is actually even stranger than that. When I knew the shoot would be set in an abandoned factory, I somehow felt there would be something that would fit this concept. I don’t know why, but I knew it. I thought I’d find an old telephone or something, but that little old phone book was even better, it was just the perfect match for the idea of confiding in an utter stranger. Here you can see a detail of it:
Confide In Me by *GothicNarcissus: detail
Tainted Fashion is a bit the odd one in this project. It’s the photo which has the less direct correlation with a Hurts song, although it’s still somewhat connected. It’s loosely based on the second verse of Better Than Love (in particular visually, with the reference to light and darkness) and on the question whether fashion’s frivolity actually feels better than love and emotions (did someone mention thawing?). Or are emotions even more frivolous than the beau monde, after all? Which one leads to decay first? (Ok, end of the thawing). I basically wanted it to look like some sort of fashion show held in utter decay, stressing on the idea of transience that is common to fashion and feelings, perfectly epitomized by the set.
You may see these two photos especially benefited from the extraordinarily good lighting conditions of the warehouse. Without it, they would have never been so intense. But a big deal of the work was done by Raz and his wonderful expressivity, that totally made the photos.
Tainted Fashion by GothicNarcissus
Another second in the sunshine,
A decade in the dark taking part in a dream.
Have you forgotten what she looks like,
Or do you only see what you want to believe?

Does it feel better than love?
Does it feel better than love?
[ Better Than Love – Hurts ]

No comments:

Post a Comment