Sunday, 9 October 2011

A Post-apocalyptic Scenary

Castle For Clowns by *GothicNarcissus
Abandoned warehouses are the perfect place to take photos in, so no wonder that many (if not all) photographers end up using them at least once in their career. An abandoned factory is usually isolated, you can take your time without other people interfering, has that decaying feeling that completes so many kind of photos, it doesn’t cost a thing (unless you get a fine for entering a private property) and, in particular, has a huge lot of different ideas to offer.
If you consider that I’m attracted to decadence like a moth to the flame and that I have a huge fascination for industrial landscapes, you can easily guess why I immediately got very enthusiastic when Raz Estacado suggested the possibility to shoot in an abandoned factory near Padua.
As I mentioned in the post about Nergal, Raz wrote to me on Facebook asking me if I was interested in collaborating with him, which I immediately accepted, deciding to include him in my InfernalLords project. Of course, meeting him just for a single photo would have been a waste of time and resources, so I asked him if he could suggest a location to shoot in, possibly something industrial (as I’m a bit fed up of old-fashioned monumental places), and he suggested me this abandoned, post-apocalyptic warehouse, showing me some photos he had taken there himself. Coincidentally, I had just bought A Natural Disaster by Anathema, so a bunch of fitting concepts started blooming in my mind, and here is the results.

I have to say I’ve been particularly lucky, as the location had a wonderful lighting. There were several windows which let the bright afternoon light in, allowing me to experiment a lot and, with the right amount of attention, getting a professional-looking illumination on the model, making him stand out from the background in most of the shoots. In other cases, the brighter areas simply provided some additional hues which completed the chromatism of the photos.

Besides the location, though, the real highlight of this session is the model. I really had a great time working with Raz Estacado for several reasons: firstly, he’s a photographer himself, so he already had a clue about how to act in front of the camera and needed just general directions; we also exchanged some pieces of advice and experimented different things during the shoot (although they didn’t work out in the end). But more importantly, he’s one of the most expressive models I’ve had the pleasure to work with, surely the most expressive overall among males. He gave the photos a brand new freshness and intensity, totally different from those of other sessions. I took full advantage of his theatrical skills to add a different flavour to the photos, to very satisfying results. Also, I had the occasion to practice make up on another person, which turned out pretty good for being the first time I do it for photographic purposes. No need to say I’m looking forward to working with him again in the future.

As for now, enjoy the outcome of this fruitful photoshoot. I will include all the photos except Cold Comfort and a couple of shoots which are part of the InspirationHurts project and need a separate mention.
Violence by *GothicNarcissus
Scary, Lonely Dream World by *GothicNarcissus
Brighter Days, Outside by *GothicNarcissusSave Me by *GothicNarcissusElectricity by *GothicNarcissusWyatt Earth by *GothicNarcissus

No comments:

Post a Comment