Friday, 21 October 2011

Wonderful Life & In The Shadow Of Mother Nature

Wonderful Life by GothicNarcissusOn a bridge across the Severn on a Saturday night
Susie meets the man of her dreams.
He says that he got in trouble and if she doesn’t mind
He doesn’t want the company.
But there’s something in the air, they share a look in silence
And everything is understood,
And Susie grabs her man and puts a grip on his hand
As the rain puts a tear in his eye.

She says:
‘Don’t let go.
Never give up, it’s such a wonderful life.
Don’t let go.
Never give up, it’s such a wonderful life.’

Driving through the city to the Temple station
He cries into the leather seat,
And Susie knows her baby was a family man
But the world has got him down on his knees.
So she throws him at the wall, her kisses burn like fire
And suddenly he starts to believe,
And he takes her in his arms and he doesn’t know why,
But he thinks that he begins to see.

She says:
‘Don’t let go.
Never give up, it’s such a wonderful life.
Don’t let go.
Never give up, it’s such a wonderful life.’

[ Wonderful Life – Hurts ]

The Cuga dam in Sardinia is one of the places of my childhood. Not only is it on the way to the town where my mother used to work, but she would often take me out for a ride in her car and a picnic on Sundays, and that served as a location several times. It’s since around 2007 that I wanted to do a photoshoot there, but several circumstances, starting from me needing specifically a cloudy day, going through a fire occurred in the surrounding area which ruined the landscape, and then never finding a suitable moment when I moved out and came home only for holidays.
Well, surely waiting so long proved a good thing, as I got much better at photography and bought a reflex camera meanwhile. When I finally organized the so long desired photoshoot, I had just discovered (and was already totally enthusiastic about) Hurts music, which inevitably influenced me; also, I had already planned to take advantage of the murky sky to shoot Silver Lining there (regardless of the dam itself), so the door was gladly open for other Hurts song to flood my mind.
Both Wonderful Life and In The Shadow Of Mother Nature are photos which were born there and then without any planning. As for the former, I think I associated the location with the concrete platform on the front cover of the single, which made the song to start playing in my mind and urge me to shoot the photo. It was the first period of my new fashion direction, so I decided to tribute Hurts’ posh aesthetics by striking a Vogue-esque pose as if I was showing my goth-dandy outfit for some high edge editorial. Which would have worked, as the contrast between the industrial landscape and the elegant clothes makes them stand out. In The Shadow Of Mother Nature basically follows the same idea, blending industrial and natural elements in the set to highlight the clothes.

I think I’m going to introduce also the other photos from this session, including the nature ones (which are quite rare for a portrait addicted like me), but I’ll save them for another post, as I don’t want to mix them with the Inspiration Hurts project.
On a side note, these photos were not part of a project yet: I decided to do one when I found out I already had enough Hurts photos (taken or planned) to make a theme photobook out of them.
In The Shadow Of Mother Nature by GothicNarcissus
In my dreams I see the life She brings to me,
But I forget Her in the morning.
And I don’t need Her holy blessings to be free,
And I can stand it when She’s talking, talking back to me.

In the shadow of Mother Nature
We find it hard to live our lives,
But we never chose the life She gave us
And we don’t need Her to survive.

It’s no wonder we grow strong while You grow weak.
And that’s exactly how You made us.
And all your violence makes it harder to believe.
And every death just leaves us faithless, faithless in defeat.

In the shadow of Mother Nature
We find it hard to live our lives,
But we never chose the life She gave us
And we don’t need Her to survive.
[ Mother Nature – Hurts ]

No comments:

Post a Comment