Tuesday, 10 January 2012

In The Shadow Of Mother Nature II

In The Shadow Of Mother Nature II by GothicNarcissusIn my dreams I see the life She brings to me,
But I forget Her in the morning.
And I don’t need Her holy blessings to be free,
And I can stand it when She’s talking, talking back to me.

In the shadow of Mother Nature
We find it hard to live our lives,
But we never chose the life She gave us
And we don’t need Her to survive.

It’s no wonder we grow strong while You grow weak,
And that’s exactly how You made us.
And all your violence makes it harder to believe,
And every death just leaves us faithless, faithless in defeat.

In the shadow of Mother Nature
We find it hard to live our lives,
But we never chose the life She gave us
And we don’t need Her to survive.

[ Mother Nature – Hurts ]

Briar Rose and I have different ways of working - which, I guess, is the reason why we do amazing things when we work together: while I am a careful planner and a control freak, she’s much more istinct-driven, very Lilith style. This is just how I can put it easy, as we tend to work in both ways although with a different approach, but we can say that I generally plan my photos while she generally cherishes the inspiration of the moment.
This photo was born with no title. Briar Rose has a huge fascination with shadow plays on the models’ faces and did this experiment with me: it turned out to be, like, the best portrait of me ever shot my anyone. It’s easily one of my favourite photos in my own gallery, and as Mother Nature is one of my favourite Hurts songs and the shadow of the flowers reminded me of its lyrics, I immediately opted for this title despite having already used it. To be honest, the true In The Shadow Of Mother Nature is this one, but as I had already printed the other in the photobook I gave to the band, I thought it was too late to change my mind.

It’s interesting to note that, although both photos are inspired by the song, none of them bear its actual title. The reason is I feel they represent only one of the aspects of the song, not the whole. I’m still waiting to catch its real essence, and although I sometimes feel very close, I can’t yet. I feel something taking form when I listen to it, but it’s still blurry, vague, undefined. Perhaps it’s not the time for the song to disclose its innermost secret to me yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment