Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Apologize

Apologize by *GothicNarcissusI’m holding on your rope,
Got me ten feet off the ground.
I’m hearing what you say,
But I just can’t make a sound.
You tell me that you need me,
Then you go and cut me down – but wait,
You tell me that you’re sorry;
Didn’t think I’d turn around and say –

That it’s too late to apologize,
It’s too late…
I said it’s too late to apologize,
It’s too late to love me.

I’d take another chance,
Take a fall, take a shot for you.
I need you like a heart needs a beat,
It’s nothing new, yeah, yeah!
I loved you with a fire red,
Now it’s turning blue, and you say
“Sorry” like an angel, heaven let me think was you,
But I’m afraid –

It’s too late to apologize,
It’s too late.
I said it’s too late to apologize,
It’s too late, too late.

It’s too late to apologize,
It’s too late.
I said it’s too late to apologize,
It’s too late to lie.

I’m holding on your rope,
Got me ten feet off the ground.

[ Apologize – Within Temptation ]

Lately I’m in the mood for some experiments that stretch beyond mere photography (in a different direcion than photomanipulationsm though). In particular, I’m totally in love with the digital watercolour technique that gave me the idea for the realisation of Hollow, and although I had only seen it applied to writings, I though I could try to make something different out of it, like, for instance, a frame for a photo.
Watercolour is not exactly a new medium for me, but I’m quite unexperienced about the real one. When I was a child I loved drawing. I would literally spend all my free time bent on paper sheets (well, at least when I was not playing with Lego, of course) and although I preferred felt-tips, I would occasionally use also crayons and watercolour. Unfortunately, secondary education was effective in eradicating that part of my creative self, so right now I just can’t hold a pencil anymore, let alone a brush. Nevertheless, this digital watercolour technique can be easily applied with just a mouse or touchpad (it does not even require a tablet), so I’m experimenting a lot with it to make up for my lost manual ability.
This work did barley start as an attempt. I mean, I knew exactly what I wanted to get in the end, but I was not sure I could. Eventually, I did it. Differently from Hollow, I did not want it to look like a photo printed on a glossy magazine page with a watercolour-like title, but rather like a printed photo framed in an actual sheet of watercolour paper with a circular hole in the middle and then scanned. Had I done it with real stuff rather than digitally, I would have painted on the paper with watercolours, then cut out a circle in the middle, pasted the resulting frame on the photo and then drawn the bribed wire with a blue gel pen: this is what this work is supposed to look like.
Of course, there is a specific secret to get a realistic-looking watercolour on photoshop, but I’m going to keep it to myself because... well, I’d spoil the magic otherwise. I just added a watercolour paper texture atop it to make it look even more realistic, which I hope I succeded. As for the photo itself, although I put the usual care in the shooting, including the styling and so on, I shot it to fit the frame rather than the other way round. And yes, that's a true McQueen scarf.
About the concept, I’m totally in love with Within Temptation’s version of this song, even more than OneRepublic’s: I find it very emotional and inspiring, thus when I decided I’d do a visual rendition, I wanted something very special. This experient did fit it, so I decided to complete it and publish it. I have another frame of this kind (related to another Within Temptation cover), but although it’s ready, I still have to take a nice foto to fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment