Tuesday 12 February 2013

The Storm Before The Calm

The Storm Before The Calm I by GothicNarcissusNever, never, never, never ever, ever worry,
I will, I will always, always be there for you.
Found you, found you, I will never ever
Leave you, never, I will always be here with you,
Getting better, better, better, better, better, better.

It’s getting colder, I’m getting colder, colder, it’s getting colder.
Let it get colder until I can’t feel anything at all.
It’s getting colder, it’s getting colder, colder.

Come on, come on, on me, on me,
Touching, laughing, ha ha, love me, love me
For me, holding, watching, loving,
Getting better, better, better, better, better, better.

It’s getting colder, I’m getting colder, colder, it’s getting colder.
Let it get colder until I can’t feel anything at all.
It’s getting colder, it’s getting colder, colder, I’m getting colder.
Let it get colder until I can’t feel anything at all.

It’s the shadow.
It’s the shadow, it’s the shadow, it’s the shadow, it’s the shadow,
It’s the shadow, it’s the shadow, it’s the shadow, it’s the shadow,
It’s the shadow, it’s the shadow, it’s the shadow, it’s the shadow inside.

The Storm Before The Calm II by GothicNarcissus It ebbs and flows and comes and goes
And rips you up and lets you go.
It eats inside and splits your mind.
As you search around for others’ kind,
You gather strength from the depths,
Fight the fight from day till night, till night, till night, till night, till night, till night.

This beautiful feeling soars over the skies
Moving through my body, out my mind.
It rises up and floods my brain.
This is fucking insane, this is fucking insane!

Am I still here as one with the fear?
Am I still alive as one with the fear?
Am I still here as one with the fear?
Am I still alive as one with the fear?
Am I still here as one with the fear?
Am I still alive as one with the fear?
Am I still here as one with the fear?
Am I still alive? I’m still fucking here.
Am I still here?
[ The Storm Before The Calm – Anathema ]

Apparently, each and every project or series I work on must have an entry that’s the “odd one out”. The Storm Before The Calm is that for Weather Systems. If you give the song a listen you will easily understand why: for one thing, it is over nine minutes long, for another it has two climatic moments which split it in two parts with very distinctive feelings and emotions. Usually, such a work would require a diptych, but since all the works in the projects are diptychs to begin with, I just decided to split it into two parts: The Storm and The Calm.
The story behind this work is rather interesting: I had the two parts perfectly mapped out in my mind since spring, but they required the right conditions to be shot, which meant fitting weather in Alghero (I necessarily had to do them there because Trieste doesn’t have beaches, either sandy or rocky). The Calm was actually the first work I completed for the project – I shot it during the break between my autumn exam session in September and the start of the term in October, while the sea in Sardinia was still warm enough (I ever had a quick swim after I was done). Originally, I wanted it to have a cloudy feel, but it was my last day of holidays and while it was perfectly cloudy when I went out of the house with my mother, it became sunnier by the time we reached the sea. The photos turned out unexpectedly good nevertheless, so I stored them on my computer waiting for the right occasion to shoot the first part, which occourred now. On a side note, The Calm is the last photo I took with my Canon EOS 1000D camera that I’m publishing, as I purchased my 5D the next week end.
About the photos themselves, the first part, The Storm, is meant to represent the first five minutes of the song with their electronic, psychedelic storm. I intended for it to be windier with my hair flowing all around, but I’m very satisfied with it nonetheless: it has a very distinct fashion feel I totally love (while the stormy feeling is given by the photo of the foam). Afte the electronic part, the song has one in which it builds up until a climax (at about 6:45) which really feels like emerging from the water and taking a deep, relieving breath before finally laying to the shore, to safety: this is exactly what I tried to represent in the second photo, The Calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment