Sunday, 9 June 2013

Once

Once by GothicNarcissusHere we are, a careful distance.
Here’s my heart, what’s left of it.
In this town, I used to listen,
Once, once, yeah...

I had hope, blind faith,
Had as much as you could take.

I’m only gonna let you kill me
Once, once, once, yeah.
Once, once, once, yeah.
Once, once, once, yeah.
I’m only gonna let you kill me once.

Ashes burn the morning after.
Only know I’m here to stay.
I was so, I let you see me;
That was dumb, but that’s OK.
Tripping down to your place.
What is love anyway?

I’m only gonna let you kill me
Once, once, once, yeah.
Once, once, once, yeah.
Once, once, once, yeah.
I’m only gonna let you kill me once.

Who or whatever you do,
Don’t let anyone hurt you.
Touch them where it hurts
And watch them leave.

[ Once – Hurts ]

Once is a song by Diana Vickers which hurts covered during the Happiness era. I don’t even know if they released it officially, but despite the original being as dull as it can be, the cover version is so beautiful and inspirational I absolutely wanted it to be part of the series.
When thinking of a visual rendition, I decided to do a fashion-oriented photo, but set it in a domestic location, so it would retain the posh imagery I associate with Hurts music without losing genuineness. The idea was rather sketchy and undefined, and the final image came out a bit unexpected, if compared to the other photos of this project.
It basically represents a moning-after kind of situation in which one of the partners is leaving the other one – but really, who’s leaving and who’s being left? Who’s going to regret the decision and who’s going to turn away towards the light and future the minute the other has left? Thus, the messy bed and the head facing backwards, to the darkness, while the rest of the body is already facing forward to the light. And the black and white and medaillon to give it a glossy magazine kind of feel.
It’s a rather simple, but I do hope it tells its story quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment