Sunday 4 December 2011

Affair

Affair by GothicNarcissusRock me on the river,
Where my troubles belong.
‘Cause you know I love you,
But I know it’s wrong,
But your body is all that I want.

Rosy affair,
You took my heart for a little while.
Greatest mistake I ever made, loving you.
Rosy affair,
I gave you my heart for a little while.
I wish I could stay with you tonight,
But I’m going home.

And we danced all night in the shadows,
Alone we stood in the crowd,
But I’m going crazy now you’re not around.
You should find another lover, baby,
Won’t let you down.

If I stay here tonight
There’ll be trouble,
But I don’t want to pretend,
‘Cause I know that we’ll make it.
My heart just can’t take it no more,
But I would rather lose a lover, baby, over it all.

Rosy affair,
You took my heart for a little while.
Greatest mistake I ever made, loving you.
Rosy affair,
I gave you my heart for a little while.
I wish I could stay with you tonight,
But I’m going home.

[ Affair – Hurts ]

Of course, despite the photobook being printed and gifted to the guys, I just couldn’t wait too long before I took another Hurts-inspired photo, so here we go with the beautiful and emotional ballad, Affair.
The story behind this photo issimilar to Happiness, in that onge again, it was BriarRose who suggested the general idea, and then I found a perfect connection with my (other) favourite muse. This time, the challenge was to directly quote an existing photograph that BriarRose particularly loved, for which I fell too upon seeing it. She asked me to find it a suitable title, and after thinking of some minor adjustments to fit the song I thought it was the perfect match to Affair.

The first difficulty to overcome once we were at work was the lack of a chandelier, which added that special touch to the original photo. To fill the emptiness, we opted for that particular dress so that its golden pattern would stand out in black and white, catching the eye and making up for the chandelier. Besides, I tried to get a somewhat colder feeling by having a looser hugh, as if they were done and the guy was about to go home as in the song.
One thing I really love about this photo is how expressive BriarRose is despite not showing her face at all: the line of her back, the neck and her hand have something very emotional about them. Also, I love how she did her hair, she’s becoming one of the best hairdresser and make up artists I know personally.

Edit 2018:
So, guys, you know how I’m a spiteful bitch who can hold a grudge literally for decades? Well, it just so happens that I’ve always loved this photo, but felt that BriarRose’s then-boyfriend totally ruined it. I mean, you can’t quite go and tell your best friend that her boyfriend isn’t photogenic at all, what with his weirdly-proportioned face, shapeless nose, ginormous forehead, receding hairline and, especially, that greasy, greasy hair without a definite cut that goddamnit, just looks so out of place in a hommage to Romy Schneider and Alain Delon from the 1950’s!
Well, turned out that said then-boyfriend is positively pretty on the outside compared to how ugly he is on the inside, which means I’m entitled to have absolutely zero respect for him (especially because I’m fiercely protective of my friends), which means I can have no qualms about basically remaking him from scratches in Photoshop. Seriously, I liquefied the hell out of his face and, in particular, I gave him a fucking haircut to turn him into the pretty boy this photo needed. If only there were a metaphysical Photoshop that could make that ugly mess he calls a personality just as nice.
In case you’re wondering, yes, I went back to edit this photo after seven years of being secretly bothered, and yes, I’m still holding this much grudge even though he’s long since out of my friend’s life for good. I’m just that person. But lo and behold, finally I’m 100% satisfied with Affair!

No comments:

Post a Comment