Tuesday 1 December 2015

Cupid

Cupid by GothicNarcissusSay a little prayer for me.
Cupid, shoot your arrows into me.
I feel lust like a sick disease
And my blood ignites when I hold you close to me.

And I’ll never let you go.
Cupid, I’ll never let you go.

Bring my lover to her knees,
Pierce her skin and make her fall in love with me,
’Cause I swear I’ll make you bleed
If you break my heart when I hold you close to me.

Cupid, I’ll never let you go.
Cupid, I’ll never let you go.

[ Cupid – Hurts ]

And here’s another couple-of-years-old idea that finally made it into a photo. I must say that working under approaching strict deadlines makes me extremely productive.
Cupid is one of my favourite tracks on Hurts’ Exile and was one of the first images I had in mind while listening to the album: a very posh photo (like the song is) with a present-day Cupid trying to shoot a victim who refuses to be hit by his arrow and struggles to redirect it to him out of spite. It fits well with the lyrics of the song as well as my non-existent inclination to fall in love, so the conceptual thinking was quick to sort out. Despite the action, I still wanted the photo to look somewhat static, perhaps because my first thought when it comes to Cupid is Canova’s Amor And Psyche, which is Neoclassical and thus not very dynamic. There’s really a lot going on behind the inspiration for this photo.
To give the photo a modern outlook, beside elegant outfits I thought it would be nice to have Cupid shooting with a gun instead of his canonical bow – and who cares if shooting arrows with guns is not ballistically correct, I can take an artistic license. Also, guns are glossy and would provide further visual ties to the glossy appearance I wanted the photo to have.
Knajfer Wintermere, one of my best friends, was my very first choice for the second model, but for one reason or another I never got to schedule a shoot with him until last week. The shoot was plagued by a huge delay (because of a train strike, my usual luck) and was particularly difficult, given I had to set up the camera, direct a model and myself too, so it took me several attempts to get it straight. We also tried some variations on the pose to improve the composition until this one finally made the trick. Out of all my Inspiration Hurts photos, this one was probably the most complicated. Which brings me to my usual thought: waiting years before I get one of my ideas out is a good thing. For one, I have much more proficiency with interior lighting, which is essential when taking glossy fashion-like photographs; also, I’ve explored the genre more before shooting in the dark, so the overall effect came out to be exactly what I had in mind.

I’m really glad I got to shoot a photo for one of my long-term projects, and that same afternoon another followed suit, which you will see tomorrow. Meanwhile, enjoy Cupid!

No comments:

Post a Comment