Tuesday 30 August 2011

The Water

The Water by GothicNarcissusInnocent, they swim.
I tell them no and they just dive right in.
But do they know it’s a long way down
When you’re alone,
And there’s no air or sound
Down below the surface?

There’s something in the water,
I do not feel safe.
It always feels like torture
To be this close.
I wish that I was stronger:
I’d separate the waves,
Not just let the water
Take me away.

There was a time I’d dip my feet
And it would roll off my skin.
Now every time I get close to the edge, I’m scared of falling in.
‘Cause I don’t
want to be stranded again
On my own when the tide comes in
And pulls me below the surface.

There’s something in the water,
I do not feel safe.
It always feels like torture
To be this close.
I wish that I was stronger:
I’d separate the waves,
Not just let the water
Take me away.

[ The Water – Hurts ]

First of all, this photo is a birthday dedication to Theo Hutchcraft, the vocalist of Hurts, who turns 25 today.
With this said, not only am I going on with Hurts-inspired photos, but also on my experimental trip, whose next step was posing in the water, something I had never done before. I asked my mother DamaInNero for help behind the camera (which she was enthusiastic to do), and we went by the sea near our house in Alghero for a little photoshoot.
As I didn’t want to spoil my make up, I left these two photos as the last ones. Also, as I somehow feel that this song is particularly meaningful to Theo, I preferred to get a bit more comfortable in the water before going for the photo. I wanted to do a very good work at portraying the feelings of this song: the tenderness in the melody, but also the fear, the sense of helplessness and loneliness in the lyrics. This is why in the end I decided to do a diptych: at first, I only thought I would take a photo underwater in which I would seem trapped (like the one on the right), but my mother unexpectedly caught the exact moment of exitation before sinking myself, and I decided that together they worked just perfectly.
The left photo was totally unplanned and unexpected, and I was not even truly posing. I was just worrying and shivering in anticipation of the feeling of being down there, exitating before letting myself sink and feel the water invading my nose; I can say it genuinely portrays the feelings of the song, as in that very moment they were my own. Nevertheless, it came out particularly harmonious and aesthetically pleasent, completing the right photo which is strongly distorted by the rifraction of the water and, thus, more dramatic and not as graceful as the other; that was the idea all along, as I wanted it to suggest a sense of claustrophobia and total helplessness, as if the water surface was a glass that could not be broken through. So, I found out that together, they summarize the whole of the song better than as standalone pieces.
Technically speaking, this photo was a pain to take. I mean, literally: I had to lie in the sea with my head below the rest of the body, so air surfaced all at once due to the awkward position and I got plenty of water into my nose, and gosh, it did hurt; and I also had to take it multiple times before I was totally satisfied with the results. It’s not like I was really afraid of drowning all alone, as my mother was there ready to help me, but soon all that salty water started flowing up my nose and then down my throat, and for those moments I really had a glimpse of what drawning may feel like. I didn’t enjoy it, but at least it helped me acting. And I can be sure I washed my nose perfectly,  as I still spilled salty water about an hour after the photoshoot. But after all, who cares? I would do it again for Art’s sake. You may call it masochism, perhaps!

The rest of the photoshoot will follow soon, and you’ll read more in the next days, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment